Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Luis Fonsi Interview 1

Christina: Do you plan on writing and producing music for other artists?

Luis Fonsi: Absolutely! Absolutely, I'm already writing. I already have some songs on hold for very, very recognized Latin artists.

Christina: Like who?

Luis Fonsi: I can't say yet. I can't say yet 'cause it hasn't happened yet. But as a matter of fact every day I actually get a call from a lot of people
saying, "Hey, I would love to work with you," "I love your new stuff," "I love your direction and I want you to be a part of my album," so definately, especially this year I'm gonna be working with a lot of
different people and producing as well.

Christina: What can fans expect from your English album coming out this summer?

Luis Fonsi: You know, It's just a fun album! It's just myself! I never like to put kind of labels and say "hey it's like this, it's like that." It's just fun! It's got a mixture of kinda fun pop songs with a little different vibes. Some have a little bit more of an urban feel, a little hip hop feel, a little bit of a
Latin feel. But it's feel good music! Music that you can dance to!

Christina: Do you plan on touring, like promoting the new album and stuff?

Luis Fonsi: As a matter of fact, yes! Yeah, the album comes out in July. I'm probably going to go out on the road, you know, just promoting, doing
a lot of radio shows, doing a lot of touring. My big tour starts in October in different countries, my big Latin tour. I'm going to go all through Latin America, so you know, just having fun!

Christina: So do you plan on collaborating with *NSYNC or joining on as their opening act in an up-coming tour?

Luis Fonsi: The guys from *NSYNC are my buddies, especially Joey. I grew up
with Joey, he's known me since I was 10. He's one of my best friends, he knows me very well. As a matter of fact, I already quote on quote "collaborated" with him because he was the co-director of my video. Which is the funniest ting to watch, your buddy kinda telling you what to do! I'm like, "Shut up!" You know, like old friends,
but Joey's always been really inclined into doing directing. He's getting into it, and I think he's got a lot of future in that perspective. It's fun, he did a little cameo, we just had fun! I mean the video shoot was so much fun! We were down in Miami, which is my hometown, and ya know, as far as music, you never know. We have nothing
planned, but you never know. Those guys, I've kinda seen them grow up. I remember when they were doing gigs and nobody knew
who they were, and now their one of the biggest acts in the world. They're really talented fellas! They're really nice kids, so hopefully we'll get to share the stage.

Christina: If you weren't a musician, where would you see yourself today?

Luis Fonsi: If I wasn't a musician? Ahh man it's tough, it really is tough! If I wasn't singing, I would be producing, kinda like behind-the-scenes. But if
you take me out of music, totally, I would probably be in the business side of music, working for a label, working as management. I don't know. I can't be too far away from music. It's just, my life has always been centered around music.

Christina: You've become a role model for many young Latinos, but who was your role model growing up?

Luis Fonsi: My parents. My parents and different artists. Back then it was Menudo. They were my big role models. Then I was a big fan of
Michael Jackson. I was a big huge fan, I don't know if he was a role model, but he was my favorite artist back when "Bad" and "Thriller," came out. I listened to a lot of Latin artists like Luis Miguel and
Ricardo Montaner, and a lot of "balladeers" who always sang about love and just kinda poured their hearts out in a song and I always liked that. A little bit of everything, but my parents as far as role
models, my parents, 'cause they were guiding me through the way.

Christina: What does family mean to you?

Luis Fonsi: I'm a very family oriented person. Like I said, my parents have been present in every decision, in everything. I always call them, we're
friends. My brother and my sister, we're really close, everyone, cousins, it's very "Latin," in that way. Like my dancers, 2 of my dancers are my cousins, 1 of my background vocals is my cousin.
Their not there because their family members, their there because their really talented guys. Their extremely talented and there's nothing better than having people who are related to you, who know
you, your family. Their constantly with me so, it's really kind of refreshing.

Christina: What keeps you down-to-earth? Your family obviously, or...?

Luis Fonsi: Just everybody around me. I think when you love what you do and when you have fun doing it, you kind of stay the same person, and you don't become anybody else. Like I said, I have a very good way of looking at things and I just love what I do! I love my job, I love singing, I love traveling! I don't see why I have to change the way I
have to treat people and why I have to be "stuck up," all, ya know, like I'll never be a "diva!" I'm just "Fonsi!" I'm just regular old Luis Fonsi. I'm a kid! I'm a big kid inside!

Christina: What kind of person would you give your heart to?

Luis Fonsi: Somebody who would give their heart back to me, somebody who would just be, you know, literally, love is supposed to be a 2 way
thing. You feel love; you love when you feel love, and there's some"magic." They always talk about that "magic," when you love some-body your supposed to feel that "magic," your supposed to feel that little "twinkling," "connection," the "vibe." I believe in "destiny," and I believe that there's somebody out there for you, so I'm not in a hurry.
I'm single, and I'm looking, and I'm young! I'm not in a hurry to be in a relationship.

Christina: What's the nicest thing a fan has given or done for you?

Luis Fonsi: Ahh man, fans have done some crazy stuff, nice things.

Christina: Fans are crazy; some of them!

Luis Fonsi: No, no not really! I don't see them as crazy, I think there are some loving fans out there! One of them painted this huge drawing for me
with like different things and different meanings, written poems, written songs, given me presents, more than the materialistic part of the present, but the meaning of that present because they done some research and they know that I liked this. They go out of the way to study you. They go to every interview, they'll be there waiting for you
the next morning at 4 o'clock in the morning, you know, they don't get any sleep, they skip school, and mean while, I'm way tired and they
went to bed later and woke up earlier than me and their just there to catch a glimpse at you; just to take one more picture. So that really to
me, that is not annoying, that is really refreshing that their doing this for you, it's an honor! So, I respect fans and I try to be their friend and
I try to get them to know me as a person and connect with them through my web page and things here and there.

Christina: What does success mean to you?

Luis Fonsi: To me success is when your happy with yourself. When you've worked hard to go somewhere, to get some place, and you get
there, and your happy with yourself and content with everything that has happened along the way. I feel successful because my dream since I was 7, since I was 6, was to sing, was to record an
album. And I got to do that, not only did I get to do that, but I got to grow bigger. I got to release 3 hit Spanish albums, and now I'm
about to release my 1st English album. I've got to have fun along the way, so to me that is being successful. I mean I wake up every
morning with a smile on my face, saying, "you know what, I did it man." All the hard work, all the studying. I went to college. I got my music degree, it was day in and day out.

Christina: Did you get an AA or BA?

Luis Fonsi: I got my Vocal Performance degree, my BA at Florida State University and I graduated, and it wasn't easy. Reading Mozart and Bach, and analyzing the chord structure of this and that, it was
tough. People were like why are you studying classical music if you want to be out on stage, jumping and dancing. I said, "You know what, the more prepared I get, the better." So that's why I did it, so it's worth it. Now that I get to be doing this, now that I get to be on stage and traveling the world and meeting the president and meeting the
Pope. Stuff like that doesn't happen everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment