Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Luis Fonsi Interview 2

Chrissy: What brings you to LA?

Fonsi: What brings me to LA?! I came here to visit "Chrissy Online..."

Chrissy: (Giving an "Alrighty then look." lol)

Fonsi: Nah...I'm just kidding ya...I'm here to promote my second single off of the new album, "Abrazar La Vida." I'm just here for a quick little stop...hmm...what am I doing? I just did a couple of tv shows and the press junket and then tomorrow I leave and then I go to Texas to do a couple of things.

Chrissy: Is the album doing well?

Fonsi: Extremely well! It's doing really good! We're starting to work this second single. "Quien Te Dijo Eso," went to the top of the charts...Billboard...now "Abrazar La Vida," is on the top ten, so I can't complain.

Chrissy: Besides the concerts in Puerto Rico, are you going to have any concerts here in the states?

Fonsi: Yes, towards the end of the tour. Basically what the tour does is go from the Caribbean, which is Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic, then I start doing South America, starting with Venezuela, then I do Chile, then Argentina, then Colombia. I do a little bit of Central America...so far it's Panama and Costa Rica, then I go to Spain, do a few shows over there. Then I go to Mexico and do a few shows there. Finally at the end of the tour for sure I do Miami, Orlando, and New York, and I'm pretty positive I'm coming here, to LA.

Chrissy: A lot of people want to see you here! Including me! :-)

Fonsi: I would LOVE to come here, yeah, we are working on it. I mean that's going to be towards the end of the year, so right now, we don't have a set date.

Chrissy: I heard that you're working with Yahir. Does that mean you're going to be producing his album or just contributing songs?

Fonsi: No, I was going to write some songs for his album but he's doing all covers for this album...so for now I don't think he'll be recording those songs.
I am working with a lot of different artists, as producer and/or just song writer, right now. I unfortunately don't have enough time though. I'd love to do those things because I love to work with people, but I'm kinda working on my tour, which is actually the reason why I'm here and that's kind of the priority. Ya know of course, I'd love to, but yeah, when it slows down for a little bit, which I don't think it will for a while, I will. When I do have some time at home in Miami, then I'm going to be doing a little bit more of the producing side.

Chrissy: It's been two years since your English album came out. Do you plan on releasing another one?

Fonsi: I'm not sure, right now, to be quite honest. I'll never close that door, I'll never drop that option. I think eventually, yes, but it's not something that I'm thinking about right now. It's the market...the anglo market right now is in a weird sound. Pop kind of disappeared and it's mostly either hip hop or rock, so, I don't know what I could offer the listerners. I'm not a "hip hopper" and I'm not a "rocker" either...I'm more in the little it of the "happy median" and until I can feel 100% totally sure that what I'm going to do is going to satisfy what I am as an artist and what the needs of the audience are, then I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing in the Latin market. There's a lot of room to grow in the Latin market, so I'm just gonna spend my time doing these amazing tours that I'm doing now in Latin America and then kinda leave that to the side for the near future. When I say the near future it could be a year, it could be 2 years, it could be 3 years, so I'm just trying not to et ahead of myself, I'm kind of taking it little by little, working on my new album. It's doing amazingly, incredibly well and that's jus where I'm at right now. Ya know I don't know in like 6 months, 7, 8 months I'll start thinking if I want to do an English album or whether I want to do another Spanish album and then an English album...

Chrissy: Are you going to be performing at any radio festivals?

Fonsi: I'm going to do some stuff with KLVE. Right now my schedule is crazzzy because of the tour. After I finish this little promo tour I go to Puerto Rico just to start putting the tour together, and learning all the new coreography and stuff. So I'm going to be pretty busy untill like July. The tour starts May 14th...so basically until then I'm going to be in and out of rehearsals...doing a couple of events. During that time I'm pretty much going to do shows.

Chrissy: Do you find your song writing ability stronger in Spanish than in English?

Fonsi: Ya know, not really. I've done more Spanish writing than English so in that sense I'm a little bit more used to it. It might be a little bit easier but I feel pretty comfortable in both languages. Expressing myself in both languages...you know it's all about the music and the melody; it doesn't have a language, so it's about how you write the lyrics in what language you write them in. To be quite honest, I feel totally fine doing both, it's just that, obviously, right now I'm more involved in the Latin market so that's why I'm sticking to it.

Chrissy: How old were you when you started song writing?

Fonsi: My first song...I mean I did some little side projects and little jingles and songs and personal things...I started when I was in college...So I was probably like 18 or something like that, 17 or 18. My first serious song I wrote when I was 18...I wrote "Mi Sueno." I think when I really got to it, it was when I turned 21 or 22. Really during these last four years. I turn 26 the day after tomorrow. These last few years have been very productive, very fluid, as far as writing.

Chrissy: You're a pretty good actor in your videos. Do you plan on getting into acting?

Fonsi: Yeah, ya know, it's in the future. I think...I hope!

Chrissy: Would you want to do American stuff or would you want to do novelas?

Fonsi: Ya know, whatever comes. There are no plans, there is no set thing happening. It's just that being in front of a camera is something that I sometimes have to do when I interpret a song. So, I feel pretty comfortable doing it. I don't have as much experience as I do with music, but yeah, I think it's in the plans. I'd love to do film...who knows...something that I really want to do is musical theater. Something that really turns me on, that I'd love to do is a Broadway show. Not right now, not tomorrow, not this year, I'm talking about in the long run. It is definately there, maybe in a couple of years I'll do a project.

Chrissy: What is your biggest fear?

Fonsi: I try to not have a big fear.

Chrissy: Are you afraid of flying? A lot of people I talk to are.

Fonsi: No! I'm a skydiver, so no...that would be really wierd!

Chrissy: Duhh...I'm such a dork! I forgot! :-)

Fonsi: I don't have a huge fear, I don't have anything that really freaks me out.

Chrissy: You're a pretty calm person?

Fonsi: Yeah, I'm pretty calm, ya know, pretty human is the best way to explain it. I mean I have my things! If I were to see a rat here, I'd probably jump just like you would, it's not like I'd stay and pet it...but I don't have like...I'm not afraid of the dark. I'm not afraid of heights. I'm not afraid of close spaces. I really don't have anything that I can mention, really.

Chrissy: What is the thing that makes you the happiest?

Fonsi: Just my friends, my family. Feeling the response of the audience. When I go to a country and I have a really good tour...a really good show, a good interview, you just feel the positive vibe from the people. That just makes me really happy! The ocean! I love the water, so that calms me down a little bit. Just love in general, whether it's feeling love by a friend or whatever. I think that obviously for anybody that is always soothing.

Chrissy: Which childhood memories stand out the most in your mind?

Fonsi: Just hanging out with my friends, with my cousins, just singing in every corner of the house. Just getting together with my whole family; I have a big family. Just immitating Menudo...that's for us older folk... Menudo was like Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC....WAYYYY bigger than BSB and *NSYNC put together! They were like the "true" boyband. When I was 7, like in 19-whatever...nah...I'm not that old...back in 1985...

Chrissy: Your not that old! We aren't that many years apart!

Fonsi: Okay...when we were young...Menudo was a huge group in Puerto Rico and in alot of Latin American countries and I used to immitate them and stuff. I have old tape of me when I was 4 or 5 standing in front of a mirror doing the little cheesy dances and that was always a great memory! My childhood was full of great memories in general. Just a lot of great things, always surrounded by my family and music.

Chrissy: If you could change places with anybody dead or alive who would it be and why?

Fonsi: I would try not to. I'm pretty content with myself. I wouldn't mind being Brad Pitt for a couple of days to hangout with Jennifer Aniston...nah... ya know, I know I don't have it all. I know I'm not perfect. I know I'm not the most talented singer, the best looking guy, but I don't want to be. I'm happy with what God gave me and the things I can do and the things that I'm good at. That's just who I want to be. If I can better myself then good. I'm not perfect, but then again nobody is. So, who knows, you might say somebody but then you don't really know that person so, you don't know what that person has been through, so maybe it's not as good as you think it's going to be. To be quite honest, I wouldn't change anything about myself. I'd like to be born the same guy, as dorky as I am, as clumsy as I am, and there's a couple of good things about me, there's a couple of bad things, just like any human. I'd just like to be the same old Luis Fonsi!

Chrissy: Fonsi, thanks so much for all of your time! Could you send a message to all of your fans?!

Fonsi: Tell them that I love 'em; that they are the reason why I'm here. They are the reason why I get to live out my dream; that I get to express myself through music and that I get to have fun with what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment